2.29.2008

It's not quite May, but damnit!

Ok, so I totally lied last post when I said I wouldn't be ready to game til then.
But see...Kenny reopened the flgs, now aptly named The Game Shop, and I couldn't resist popping in. As soon as I mention wanting to play, what happens? He suggests I jump into the Sunday game and invites me to play THEN hands me book one of Mongoose's The Drow War (the store's copy to sell, I might add) and suggests I peruse it and think seriously about running it.

Now, my first instinct was to tuck tail and run, but I walked out of the shop that day with that book and read it in 3 days. It's everything I pinpointed I wanted from D&D. It's massively epic and has the potential for deep character development and strong interaction within the game world...and best of all? I don't have to start from scratch. Building a campaign on my own at this point would quickly lead to burn-out, so something "out of the box" is nice for me now, but I've already modified the first few encounters. I never run something straight from the book, as the combat NPCs would be at a huge disadvantage running with PHB/DMG junk only.

I played in my pal Paul's game last Sunday (it will get its own post) and I'm set to run session one of The Drow War this Sunday, so that gives you, my reader...(s)?, a real reason to come about and see how things go. Stay tuned for that!

By the by, I learned today that there's another game shop open in town now, run by a fella named Tony. I don't know the details of his place, as I've never been, but I will likely swing by there time to time, as well. My "allegiance" currently lies with Kenny and The Game Shop, but if I begin to make more purchases and the products I want aren't to be had, I definitely will go where my dollar can be used. (Though likely not to game...Tony's pals are all those odd 2nd Edition die hard guys who refuse to even crack open 3.x books)

I still have those game ideas coming...they've been slow to churn out, but getting into the swing of things again will likely jumpstart that. I will also be commenting more on 4E, but at the moment, I've only seen the one book and read rants on message boards...which I rarely put much stock into.

No comments: