1.22.2011

My Appendix N (Late to the ball on this...)

So, a long while back, tons of other game bloggers posted their Appendix N. I thought it was cool when they did it, but I didn't jump on board. Why? I dunno, because, as I sit thinking about it right now...it seems like a great inspiro-dump that one can do, or at least to my mind. I'm big on lists. I find they can jog my memory or inspire me just as easily as anything else. Maybe moreso, or more quickly, even.

So, here I am, making my own Appendix N, based more on the "Inspiration" page in Vampire: The Masquerade (For those of you not in the know, it's an Appendix in the first? edition DMG where Gary Gygax cited the inspirations for D&D.)

I'll likely be at this for a couple of days, as not everything will come to me immediately, and also...my list won't be like Gygax's. I'll be citing other forms of media than the written word. We'll see what we come up with.

Also, can anyone tell me...is it taboo to name, say, D&D brand novels as inspiration? I think there's an acute difference between me and most rpg bloggers have...I'm comparatively young compared to most of them, and didn't play D&D in the 70s and 80s. Since I'm trying to display my inspiration for pretty much all my gaming, I'll leave games and game-related products out of the lists.

Literature
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit, The Ring Trilogy
C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles of Narnia
Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass
Jeanne DuPrau - The City of Ember
Stephen Vincent Benét - By the Waters of Babylon
Orson Scott Card - The Tales of Alvin Maker, Ender Series
L. Frank Baum - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Marvelous Land of Oz
H.G. Wells - War of the Worlds
S.A. Swiniarski - Raven
Jack London - White Fang
Bram Stoker - Dracula
William Shakespeare - Hamlet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caesar, Richard III


Comics(Speaking in generalities, unless specified...minus Marvel Ultimates)
Batman
Superman
X-Men
Avengers
WildC.A.T.s
Youngblood
Spider-Man
Preacher
Sandman
Rising Stars
Kingdom Come
Justice League America
Justice League Europe
Groo


Television
Thundarr the Barbarian
Thundercats
G.I.Joe
Transformers (Generation 1)
Brave Starr
Silverhawks
M.A.S.K.
Centurions
Rock Lords
Go-Bots
Dragonball Z
Tin Man
Rome
Law & Order: All series
CSI: All series
X-Files
Lie to Me
Mission: Impossible
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
The Twilight Zone
Various History Channel, TLC, Discovery, etc. shows


Movies
Ghostbusters I & II
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Star Wars Saga
Conan the Barbarian & Destroyer
Krull
Excalibur
Lost Boys
Nosferatu
Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
RoboCop


Music
Danny Elfman scores
John Williams scores
Ennio Morricone scores
Basil Poledouris scores
3 Inches of Blood discography
Juno Reactor discography

No comments: