11.18.2012

Reconciling the Keep's Past With its Other Past and the Present

I know that title sound awkward, but what I mean by it is that I'm having a slight problem as I flesh out Bugbear Falls. The problem lies in the fact that I'm using the classic B2: Keep on the Borderlands module as my base, layering over Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, and then taking what has transpired in my previous Wilderlands games and reconciling those two sources with how things are currently.

I hadn't considered using Return to the Keep on the Borderlands until about 3 months ago, so I began to read it and slowly flesh out the NPCs that hadn't shifted roles between it and the original module, and who were still in their posts as of the present in my Wilderlands game.

Then I began to explore exactly how population would have changed in my game, taking that data and laying over the information about food stores and such (since MY Keep is experiencing vast food shortages thanks to the blight and famine) and deciding exactly how that would be handled, as well as replacing some character or another with the choice I find more interesting of the two from either module.

The issue with the food stores, I think, bothers me more than any other. In the updated "Return" module, the parade grounds in front of the Keep proper have been turned into gardens, and a couple of the towers along the wall house livestock, etc.. Now, where I have problems with this is that the wife of the Castellan is a very devout follower of Famine, the Horseman of the Apocalypse.

Would a ruler that follows famine keep food stores like this? I can argue no easily, but I'm more interested in if there is a "yes" in this debate. I suppose that the nobles (who have almost all converted to Famine worship) could keep the stores to themselves, thereby promoting famine amongst those who are without - most of the populace - or that they are somehow blessed since they aren't experiencing the blight that the common farmers are, etc.

Further, some of the NPCs that are in the "Return" module are very flavorful, but I would like to avoid two things that I can see easily cropping up: 1) overpopulation. The town has been hit hard by famine and blight, and I don't want it to be bustling when people should be wanting to leave. 2) I don't want the stereotypical "look at how awesome my NPCs are" town filled with person after person with multiple levels in PC classes. Something akin to the DMG breakdown is what I'm after. I'll need to check that out.

Anyway, I'll be revisiting that kind of stuff soon, as well as some other ideas I have for a multitude of other games, as well as shooting off some notes on my current Rise of the Runelords campaign.

I've also been thinking about doing the A to Z design blog marathon, and I'm unsure exactly what I'm going to focus on there, be it my Khardtha setting or Wilderlands. We'll see!

No comments: