5.15.2010

A Continuation of A Stolen Idea

Hey folks, I'm back!

So, I read blogs on gaming all the time. In fact, in some ways, that's what I'm doing when I could be posting here. Sad, but true.

Anyway, these things inspire me quite a bit, and sometimes I'm way late on the pick-up of these ideas that have been put out there, because I just stumble upon (or get around to reading) a certain blog.

Well, this morning, I have been working my way through Neitherworld Stories, and came across this post. For those of you who don't care to check the link, I'll explain. In that post, Stuart proposed what he called "Spell Synergies," which allow you to piggyback a spell onto another spell that has a synergy with the one being cast. For those of you who are familiar with Magic: The Gathering, this is pretty much Splicing Into Arcane.

The examples that Stuart gives are things like Bear's Endurance onto a Summon Monster spell, or various divination spells onto Prying Eyes. I've thought of this before, when Chris, Paul, Zack, Richie and I were doing our braintrust thing with 3.x, but we never took it any further, and I'm wondering why.

As it stands, I'm not sure where I want to go with this...there are different things you can do here. Feats (a couple of which have been done), Prestige Class(es), etc., and maybe I'll see what I can come up with on both fronts. Going through the spell lists to find the synergistic spells, like Stuart said, will be the biggest problem, as it will be time consuming, but I devote quite a bit of time to the hobby, anyway.

We'll see...I have that and a few other things stewing in my head, and rough notes scattered here and there on things I want to tackle. I'll eventually get around to them all, I think.

By the way, for those of you in my current game group, Stuart covers 3.x and Storyteller system mostly in his blog, which makes alot of what he says relevant to our current gaming. Might be interesting to you.

No comments: