12.11.2012

World of Darkness Text Game Recap: Maxine

Between March and May of last year, I had been bouncing the idea off some friends of playing a game separate from our table ventures via e-mail, IM, or text. The response I got was fairly positive, so in mid-May, we worked out that we would try to have a game via text, and I hashed out some quick rules and details after deciding on the new World of Darkness.

Our Chronicle took place in Chicago, and though we didn't make it too far into the game, I found it fun and the game actually ran for almost a year, and could have been longer if not for an extremely long hiatus breaking focus amongst the players.

In this series, I will be posting the character sheet and logs for one PC per post. Along with the character sheet, I will give the background info submitted by the player, as well as various notes from me, including their "tie" to the supernatural, explaining where I wanted to take the game with them. The ties were all made early on, and I'm not 100% sure that's where I would have gone with them as the game progressed.

The logs and character sheet are presented as-is, with typos, etc. Player text is default color.

This one is for Angela's character, Maxine "Max" Williams.




"Max"ine Williams                   Virtue: Justice                          Chronicle: Text WoD
Age: 30                                     Vice: Wrath                               Faction:
Player: Angela                          Concept: Doc/Serial Killer          Group Name:

Attributes
Intelligence: ••••                       Strength: ••                              Presence: •
Wits: •••                                    Dexterity: ••                              Manipulation: ••
Resolve: •                                 Stamina: •••                              Composure: •••

Skills
Mental (-3 unskilled)                 Physical (-1 unskilled)              Social (-1 unskilled)
Academics •                             Athletics ••                               Animal Ken •               
Computer •                               Brawl ••                                    Empathy
Crafts                                       Drive                                        Expression
Investigation •                          Firearms •                                Intimidation
Medicine •••                             Larceny ••                                Persuasion •
Occult                                      Stealth •••                                 Socialize
Politics                                     Survival                                   Streetwise
Science •                                  Weaponry •                              Subterfuge ••

Other Traits
Merits                                       Health                                      Willpower
Resources •••                            • • • • • • •                                 • • • •
Status ••                                   [][][][][][][]                                  [][][][]
Strong Back
Fighting Style: Kung Fu

Flaws                                       Morality                                   
Aloof                                        • • • • • • •
Behavior Blind
Embarrassing Secret


Size: 5                                      Speed: 9                                   Defense: 2
Armor:                                     Initiative Mod: 5                       Experience: 8/0/8

Weapon/Attack             Dice Mod.         Range              Clip      Size


Equipment                               Durability         Structure          Size     Cost



Background: She's still a serial killer, but her career is a surgeon. It pays the bills, plus gave her the knowledge to help get rid of bodies. She works in the ER some also. She doesn't kill very often: probably 2-4 times a year. It's always an abusive male. Her father was abusive. He killed her mother and almost killed her. She killed him first. He went down the stairs. Police believe he fell on his own. He was drunk.
            She has a house outside the city, with a big back yard and a some woods that she owns behind the house. Only she has her property fenced in: privacy fence. She also has a good size "work shed," and a smallish chicken coop for eggs and chickens. Owns 4-5 outside dogs. She likes dogs.
            Maxine uses tranquilizers to knock out her victims, then takes them back to her "work shed" to do the deed. Has no interest in listening to her victims, so she tapes mouths shut and ties them up til they wake, explains to them why they are being "punished," then strangles them with cord.
            (Oddly) cleans her kills much as she would a game animal, drains the blood, grinds the bones, and feeds the meat to her dogs.
            Has killed 33 people, including her father. Doesn't keep souveniers from her kills, but does return to the families, to make sure they are happier without their abusive men.

Tie: Slasher (Hunter), Max has drawn the attention of one of the "true" serial killers in the world; one gifted with inhuman abilities, and he might propose a game, or he might decide he doesn't need competition.

Logs

ST: Sterility. There was comfort in the smell of clean. It took quite a bit of restraint to keep just enough blood to makie it look like a chicken or something bit the dust in the shed to provide dinner. Just enough to allay suspicion, one can never be too careful.
Especially after the last one. He fought back. No, SHE fought for his life...after what he had done to her! She had come ot the ER 4 times.
One of the dogs whines outside, he's been doing that every evening about this time.
Max: I looked down at the blood that was left on the table. Then again, I should probably clean it all up. A surgeon does like a clean work station after all. And I am no exception. However, my dog does have me a bit distracted. I don't know what has been bothering him, so think I'll go check on old Zach.
ST: you step out to see him pacing the edge of the yard, near an overgrown fenceline. As has been usual for Zach, the past couple of days, he just paces, looks, and whines. Usually, it's nothing, but this time, you see something by the brush
Max: [Ok. Is it inside the fenceline or outside?]
[And also, is it day or night? I assume night.]
ST: [OOC: outside. Something small, purple or red, maybe. hard to tell in this light. Night, yeah]
Max: I step back inside the shed for a moment to grab a flashlight and when I step out again I shine the light in that direction, trying to get a better look at what it is.
ST: upon closer inspection, you see that it's an old blue shop rag with a still-glistening smear of something that at first looks like oil, but as the light hits it just right, you see that it is red, but darker than transmission fluid
Max: I step into the she once again to grab a rubber glove and put it on. I also grab a plastic bag. With the glove, flashlight, and bag I head through the gate and around the fence to collect the rag. I don't know where it came from. It can't be one of mine, as I use white rags which I destroy after. Also, it still looked wet. In any case, I don't need it outside my fence and I need to make sure it is what I think it is...blood.
ST: when you recover the towel, you find it to have been used countless times to wipe away grease and oil, and the viscosity of the red liquid tells you that it is, indeed, blood
Max: I take the rag back to my shed, where I will finish cleaning up any mess left over. I then I will destroy the rag along with my other cleaning supplies, in the small furnace I have in the shed. I would like to know where that blood came from, who it belonged to, or how it ended up at my fence. But short of taking the rg to the hospital or police station, I probably won't find out. I may do some looking around in the woods tomorrow before work. But for now, I think it's time to give my dogs a treat and go to bed.
ST: the rag's mysterious origins, and more whining from your dogs for a few minutes after you go in makes unwinding hard, so you go to sleep later than you like, though you sleep soundly enough. The day breaks without another incident, and though you have many questions on your mind, you remind yourself that you work the ER graveyard tonight
Max: [OOC: I am assuming that I am not in office today since you only said that I am working the ER.] I get up when the alarm goes off, about 6am, and I get dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. Then I go to the kitchen to make a quick breakfast before heading out to check the woods. I am planning to take Zach on a leash, since he seemed to be the most sensitive to it, and start where I found the rag. I put on a jacket before I walk out
ST: as you walk out along your fenceline and into the woods, you see that a well-worn path has been made, but over what span of time is impossible to tell. Zach nervously paces at first before pressing against you, obviously not wanting you to go further
Max: I bend down to pet and hopefully comfort Zach a little. "It's ok, Zach. No need to be scared."
When I stand back up I try to urge him to cme along with me. I would like to know where this path leads and maybe find out who made it. I don't like the idea that someone may be watching me.
ST: the dog relents after a few moments, and seems to pick up ascent, though still raising up and whining occasionally. After a short while, you come out on the far end of your property and onto a lead-off [OOC: one of those odd driveways to nowhere that the highway department makes] that abuts a county road. Signs of a heavy vehicle, possibly a truck, having pulled in multiple times is apparent
ST: [OOC: I never got a game text from you last night, if you sent one]
Max: At this, I am done moving forward for the moment. I don't know if I'll find anything today if I continue. I head back to the house. After I get there I take a shower and get ready to leave the house for a bit. I want to see how good a trail camera I can find.
ST: your shopping outing leads you to the Cabelas in Hammond, Indiana, a relatively short drive from where you live, south of Harvey. The associate helping you tries to push more expensive models on you, but the placard next to a Bushnell model reads as having all the features you need, an extended warranty, and a 1-year battery life, all for about $150 cheaper.
[OOC: 8 MP full-color, day/night sensor, adjustable res, programmable trigger speed, multi-image mode, field-scan time lapse, video, 32GB memory, SD compatible]
He admits to not knowing anything about remote feeds to PC or remote uploads, if asked
Max: After buying what I need I go back to the house. Not knowing how long it will take to set up, I will wait until another day to install it. The rest of the day I will spend taking care of my dogs and chickens, and hopefully have time to get a nap in before my shift tonight.
ST: you wake up for the graveyard ER shift, mentally preparing yourself for the traumas of the Second City.
As you exit your house door and fumble with your keys, you look down, seeing the tread of a medium-sized men's workboot impressed in the dirt
Max: Now I'm wondering how someone got inside my fence without alerting my dogs. They aren't big fans of strangers, especially if I'm not with the person. I am going to take the time to check on my dogs, as well as check the outside of my shed and house to see if anything else has been disturbed.
ST: after a thorough look-over, you determine that the dogs are fine and other than some odd scrapes on your shed’s outer walls and the window box outside your kitchen, nothing has been disturbed
Max: I am glad that my dogs are okay, though I am still not too happy about the fact that it looks like someone has been watching me. In any case, I have to leave for work now or else I will be late.
[I want to go to work!]
ST: as soon as you arrive, you're shoved into an operating room, trying to save the life of a teenager that had been struck by the L. The injuries are possibly fatal, but this is what you're trained for, and the operation goes much better than anyone expected.
The elation soon subsides in you when you see a familiar face...a 20-something you had treated before being pushed on a gurney to a waiting op. She has what appears to be a deep laceration on her chest, and bruises are darkening on her neck and face


Next up, Jason.

No comments: