12.16.2008

A Short Rant

You know, I've noticed a continuing trend that really brings up this wellspring of opinion and emotion whenever I see or hear it continue to worsen.

This "thing" is the elitism that seems to be gripping people by the crotch and leading them around within the hobby.

It's not like I lose sleep over it all, and it doesn't put me in a funk whenever I read or hear someone declaring the supremacy of mechanic v. mechanic, old school v. new school, et al., but it does disappoint me, I guess, that so many now...some, people who I valued the opinions of, championing that their way is the right way, when before, quite a few of these people were of the opinion that all games have the potential to be a good game, if you dig it.

I'm still of that opinion. I say that if you like it, then it's a good game. As gamers, I think we should all feel that way, at least a little. The game is what gives us our title, and we should at least accept the concepts behind that, rather that railing on something we don't really dig because it's "NOT" what you think it should be.

The "in" thing to do now is to bash D&D 3.x and 4E and Vampire/World of Darkness. Sure, those games might not be the D&D you played as a kid, and you might not like the dice pool system, but just because you feel that way, doesn't mean they're abominations to the hobby. To those who enjoy those systems, they present solid systems that facilitate the fun achieved around a game table with friends. I think, in spirit, that if a game can produce those results, then it's as good as it needs to be.

Everyone has preferences and opinions, but more and more, those opinions are coming down to hate, not just on the systems, but on the players who enjoy them, and I think that's when it has gone too far.

That's my opinion, and I know that not alot of people will read this, but you know? I don't really care. If anything, it will serve as a reminder to myself to not go down that road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make a valid point Buddy. I myself prefer a rules-lite game system, but I know plenty of folk who love the intricacies of complex rules and crave the tweaking to make their PCs uber. And hey, that's cool too, but it can get hard to get players of different play styles to all enjoy a common game. I suspect it will always be an issue in some form or another so long as you have people playing games. Or running governments, or selling auto insurance for that matter, it's part of human nature I think. Best one can do, in my opinion, is just be aware of it and try to find a balance in your own games.

-JoshD