11.11.2013

30 Day Challenge, Day 11 - Favorite Adventure You Have Ran

This turns out to be a tough one, too. Not because I don't run published adventures or anything of the like, but that I would like to nominate an adventure path, instead.

I suppose the term "Adventure Path" is slightly more modern than the adventures that I have in mind, but it is what it is, and what I'm talking about is the first series of adventures published for the 3rd Edition of Dungeons & Dragons, that ranges from The Sunless Citadel to Bastion of Broken Souls, and should - in its unmodified state - take adventurers all the way to the cusp of 21st level and grant them a boon in the form of divinity by way of Divine Rank 0.

A few years back, I ran a successful campaign that spanned all these adventures and finished the first "complete" campaign I have ever ran. I have found, in the past, that published adventures usually break down in the mid levels and are completely unplayable in the late game. Not so this span. The challenges and story entice and test the PCs with a great sense of scaling.

Barring my ability to choose a whole path, however, I think I would go with the adventure that kicks the whole thing off. The Sunless Citadel is easily droppable into any campaign world with little work.

One of the best for 3.x
  • In Athas, a demented Druid could be jealously guarding the tree he feels is a relic that could usher in a new Green Age.
  • On Krynn, recent tremors have uncovered a sunken tower from the time of the Cataclysm and a recent expedition has yet to return. What secrets does this ruin of Istar hold?
  • A warmer-than-usual winter and a hot spring has caused a heavier melt this year in northern Faerûn, exposing a crevasse with a tower jutting out of it. Some brave adventurers have already went to its depths, but will you let them beat you to the possible riches of Netherese or Evereskan artifacts?
These are just a few of the things you could do with the adventure, and just a little reskinning of monsters and names is all it would take to plop into your own campaign's neck of the woods.

I've ran this module three or four times over the years, and my only complaint is that the adventure itself is rather linear, though if ran as part of the path, can hardly be called so if you don't want it to be. My group hopped all over the place in the year+ we played. At any rate, it's a great adventure for newbies and vets alike, with a good mix of the unique and new with the old dungeoncrawling tropes present.


No comments: